- Achieving stability and progress in Iraq, our client state and Iran's neighbor;
- Preventing the spread of terrorism, another common concern;
- Giving security assurances both to Iran, that it will not be attacked or invaded, and to the United States that Iran will not develop a nuclear weapon or recklessly distribute nuclear material or technology;
- Finding a balance between the meeting of Iran's legitimate energy needs and the world's need for safeguards against proliferation of nuclear weapons and inappropriate transport of radioactive materials;
- Establishing a mechanism for solving left-over U.S.-Iran antagonisms such as frozen assets and private claims;
- Developing equitable business relationships on both the exporting of natural resources and cooperation on alternative forms of energy and energy conservation. Iran could be an important new market for American goods and services.